2014 Fantasy Baseball Cheatsheets for Roto or Point Leagues | Update #3

My 2014 fantasy baseball cheatsheets have been in circulation for a little over a month now and there have been a number of requests for tweaks, fixes or new features. While I wasn’t able to account for every single request out there, this latest update hits on a few requests and introduces a couple new features that I’ve just been wanting to implement on my own. I’m confident that this latest version of the cheatsheets is the best one yet.

Before I go into all of the wonderful new enhancements, I’ll give my usual word of warning that these are cheatsheets that will only work in Microsoft Excel on Windows. The Mac version is more limited. And, if you are checking out the site for the first time, here’s a rundown of what these cheatsheets are:

The cheatsheets are interactive spreadsheets that are completely customizable to your personal league settings. No matter how unique your league is, these cheatsheets will handle it. You will then be able to use these sheets to see how valuable each draftable player is in your league’s universe based on roto values or point-league values. In addition to that customization, you get to choose what data you want to utilize from a variety of projections, rankings and draft averages.

There are three types of cheatsheets. For rotisserie league owners (or roto H2H), you can use the standard draft or the auction draft cheatsheet depending on your draft type. If you’re not in a roto league, there’s also a cheatsheet for points leagues too.

Without further ado, in version 1.3, the main new enhancements are:

• Positional Worksheet – Inspired by my printable tiered rankings, a new tab within the spreadsheet will allow you to look at the market for each position to see what players are available at a quick glance. As players are drafted, they are automatically marked off on this sheet.
  • Change Player Positions – A feature that has been requested for quite some time is finally a reality. By clicking on a player’s position on the Draft Central page, you can now choose from a drop-down to select a new position for that player. Maybe you want Evan Gattis drafted as a Catcher instead of an Outfielder or some other less-common switch. Either way, you can now change that as the player is drafted so your draft tracking stays up-to-date.
  • Position-Adjusted WERTH Totals – In addition to the traditional WERTH values which show how far above or below average a player is, there is now a Position-Adjusted WERTH value included too. This compares a player to replacement level at his particular position and calculates WERTH based off of that.
  • Six new roto categories – Some of the requested roto categories have been added in. For batters, you can now choose 2B+3B, R+RBI-HR or K’s as roto categories. For pitchers, you can now choose K/BB, Batting Average Allowed or Home Runs Allowed as categories. BAA and HRA are both based off of MORPS projections regardless of what you use as your main projection source.
  • Input names for unlisted players – If someone drafts someone not included in the cheatsheets, you can now type in their name when you choose Non-Listed Player from the bottom of the list and you can choose their position too. This will help keep your Team Summary pages up-to-date.
  • Various tweaks – Other smaller tweaks have been done such as new logic to some sorting and a few other things behind the scenes.
  • ADP updates – New ADP has been added in to keep that current.

2014 Roto Draft Cheatsheet
2014 Roto Auction Cheatsheet
2014 Points League Draft Cheatsheet

To better understand all of the features of these special little cheatsheets, feel free to watch the video below. This video is a tutorial for the first version of the roto draft cheatsheet. Within that YouTube channel, I also have a video tutorial for the Roto Auction sheet.

Once the sheet is downloaded and opened, you’ll be prompted with two messages to enable content. After you get past that, you’ll be able to presented with a settings dialog box to setup your sheet. A full write-up with instructions for how to use the sheets will come later for those who are unfamiliar and perhaps a bit confused. For now, please refer to my introduction about what my WERTH values are as a point of reference.

If you’d like to get these sheets ahead of time, make sure to follow me on Twitter where my followers got these cheatsheets nearly two days before this release.

Have fun and let me know if you run into any major errors with these latest updates. I’d say that any new features beyond this would have to be put on hold until next draft season but I’ll make sure to address anything that hinders usability or functionality.

Update on 3/20: Added in about 20 new selectable players and updated ADP, Rankings and Projections where possible to have the latest data. Made some tweaks to fix some bugs, specifically to fix the Load Settings problem in the Roto Auction sheets.

You Might Also Like

• Andrew
    March 14, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Awesomeness. Thanks much.

• Mitch
    March 14, 2014 at 4:39 pm

There seems to be no way to take the LAA out of the NL only option.

March 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Oh crap! Good catch. I changed something with the team names that would be causing that. I'll post an update in the very near future.

March 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Uploaded an updated version with the fix for that. Thanks.

• Don Nance
    March 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm

In the Roto Auction file, the Team Summary sheet is not updating the "$$$" with the value the player was won at. It says either "Yes" or "No" for each player?

March 14, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Thank you, Don. I figured there was probably a few things I missed when doing all of these big changes and that was one of them. Got it changed and got a new version uploaded.

• Don Nance
    March 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Awesome! Thank you, Luke. Great work on these sheets!

• Justin
    March 14, 2014 at 10:41 pm

First off, I am a big fan of these sheets! By far the best I have seen around. It appears that your latest update should allow player positions to be changed. However, the Position column of the excel sheet ("2014 Roto Auction Cheatsheet") appears to still be password protected. I am able to edit dollar amounts and team drafted by columns by can still not edit player position. Thanks!

March 14, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Good catch! Forgot to unlock that 🙂 I just uploaded a new version that will allow you to make those changes now.

• Matthew Amrhein
    March 15, 2014 at 5:49 am

In the Update #3 2014 Points League Spreadsheet I set my 10 league team names. However, in the "Live Standings" tab, two cells seem to be referencing 'Team 11' and 'Team 12' and the actual Teams 1 and 2 are not populating the Live Standings list…

March 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Thank you! I made the fix an uploaded a new version.

• steve3596
    March 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm

When I go from step one to step two I get an error message that says compile error in hidden module and it references league set. Any idea what causes this?

March 16, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hmm… No, I haven't encountered that yet. Which of the three sheets did you download?

• John Kapisarov
    March 16, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi Luke,

New to FB this year, but been reading a lot of information on your website! Thank you for creating this cheatsheet! I have a couple of questions though. How often is the cheatsheet updated for different ADP, website rankings and projections? The reason I ask is because it seems like more and more players are getting injured and I was wondering if that is taken into account in the projections. Thank you for the help!

John

March 16, 2014 at 4:42 pm

There will probably be one more update with a data update in it. I did an ADP update this week though so that should reflect some of that.

• aimrocky
    March 16, 2014 at 5:11 pm

The most recent update. Is it an add on issue?

March 16, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Which of the sheets? Auction, Draft, Points league? I can't recreate the error so I'm not sure yet but if I knew which sheet was doing it then I might be able to better diagnose. When in doubt, sometimes just deleting your copy and downloading another copy of the sheet from the site might help… Sometimes funky things happen during the download, I've found.

• aimrocky
    March 17, 2014 at 12:15 am

Hi Luke,
    It's happening on the Points spreadsheet using Excel 2007. I've googled the issue, although none of the fixes seem to work.

• Jacob Perlini
    March 17, 2014 at 1:22 am

Hi Luke,

Excellent Spreadsheet!!! Only issue I have found is that in auction I can't sort by HR.

Thanks Jacob

• Jacob Perlini
    March 17, 2014 at 1:49 am

Also, in auction live standings, the saves column isn't working.

March 17, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Sorry, I can't recreate the error. Both are working fine on my end. Something must have gotten messed up with one of the settings?

• Jacob Perlini
    March 17, 2014 at 5:05 pm

The problem only occurs when I enter my league setting…I'm in an 9 team AL-ONLY 4X4-AVG HR RBI SB ERA WHIP WINS SAVES with 2C, 1 1b, 1 2b, 1 ss, 1 3b, 5 of, 1 DH, 1 Corner, 1 Middle, 9 Pitchers…When I use the default 5X5 settings there are no issues…Overall these sheets are awesome luke!!!!

• Bill Logan
    March 17, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I am having the same error (" compile error in hidden module") as listed above and I am using Excel 2007.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks!! (and thanks for this cheatsheet – it's awesome!)

March 17, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Is it when you downloaded a brand new fresh cheatsheet? Or had you played with any settings? I can't recreate the issue.

• Bill Logan
    March 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm

PS: I downloaded the Roto Auction cheatsheet.|

PPS: brand new spreadsheet trying to do the initial setup (step 1) inputing all my league settings. Now when I try to click on "settings" it shows Microsoft Visual Basic – Run-time error '75'" could not find the specified object. (and my option are 'end' and 'help')

• Bill Logan
    March 17, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I get the error I mentioned 7 mins ago when I click on "settings" or "show/hide". When I click on "search" it shows "Microsoft Visual Basic – compile error in hidden module: Sheet 2"

This is all very much above my understanding of Excel etc. (aka I'm not the brightest when it comes to computers and such) so all I can do is tell you what I am seeing…no idea whatsoever as to how to fix :/

March 17, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Sorry. I wish I could be more help… they work on multiple computers I've tried on and on both Microsoft Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 from my testing… If you're not using one of those then that MAY be the reason. I'm really not sure beyond that of what would cause that…

• Nigel Smith
    March 17, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Ervin Santana is still listed with the Royals with 0 points projected. threw me for a loop on the live standings lol.

• Peter Wilcox
    March 18, 2014 at 2:11 am

Thanks Luke. When I use Steamer for my projections with roto auction, the big three DHs show up at the top (Ortiz, Butler, and Martinez) with their meager original values being inflated to unrealistic numbers. Obviously the top three DH players shouldn't be anywhere near the top much less ahead of Trout, Miggy, etc. When I change the projections to your special blend, it goes back to how it should be with more reasonable prices for those DH players. Any idea of whats going on? Other projections work fine as well. It is just Steamer that is messing up and I really want to use his.

• Jim Fusco
    March 18, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hello- this is my first year using your spreadsheet and it really helped in my draft last night! I got burned by drafting Medlen even though he's likely out for the year- I just didn't remember in the heat of the draft.

One thing that really hurt me, though, was an apparent bug in the spreadsheet. The Settings button on the Draft Central sheet is taking up most of the screen now (it's kind of just an outline of the button). It blocks the Search button and almost everywhere I click on the screen brings up the Settings screen. I lost a lot of time in the draft because I couldn't search for players. Any idea how to fix that bug?

~Jim

• J & K Woodbury
    March 19, 2014 at 4:28 pm

The spreadsheet won't let me do a Ctrl + F search for players. Any thoughts? The spreadsheet does have its own search, but I have not figured out how to jump to the next result when the search would pull up more than one player.

• Jeff Wolf
    March 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Is there a way to incorporate the draft round and a draft order in a Roto Draft league?

March 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Woops! Thanks, got his team updated now.

March 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Thank you! Got this fixed. Weird error so I'm glad you pointed it out.

March 20, 2014 at 12:26 pm

This… this one I don't know about a fix for. That's really odd. One other person notified me of a similar issue and I really don't have any idea how that would occur unfortunately.

• NoisyFlowers
    March 20, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Is there something that would prevent the spreadsheet from spitting out Curr Proj $ Value. I have imputed my league settings but the colum remains blank.

March 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hmm, not totally sure if this fixed it or not but I just uploaded a new version because I noticed a bug that was occurring as a result of the Load Settings. Hopefully it resolves your issue too because my settings are loading fine when tested.

• John Halliday
    March 21, 2014 at 12:22 am

You know i will donate 10 bucks if u could make this work with google office

March 21, 2014 at 1:01 am

Thanks, John. Very flattering and I appreciate that. I have a desire to move that direction in the future but it's a big undertaking and will take a long time to figure out how to make that happen due to all of the functionality that is specific to these cheatsheets.

• Karol Severin
    March 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm

in roto 2014 draft cheat sheet the sort by function doesn't work for me…when i open the doc it says something like 'compile error in hidden module: settings' Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot,

K.

March 21, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I got a compile error message once. I ended up just closing all open Excel docs and then reopened the spreadsheet and it worked fine again. Maybe give that a shot?

• Edmond Flores
    March 21, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Which would be the best to use for a H2H league 10×10? Also, your live standings tab, can you explian this a little further? Green vs. the gray highlights? Total? In general how to use it during the draft?

Thanks for all the information. This is amazing.

March 21, 2014 at 7:41 pm

H2H Roto should use the Roto sheet (auction or draft depending on your draft type). The Standings add up the WERTH values in each stat, which should mimic the standings somewhat. But then for further clarification, the actual rankings in each category are listed below it. I use that to determine which stats I'm lacking in and may want to focus on.

• Edmond Flores
    March 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Edmond Flores
    March 21, 2014 at 10:52 pm

If I'm reading it right and after looking at your video, the ranking are from largest to smallest? With the smaller number being last and the largest number being first for rankings?

• Von Hayes
    March 22, 2014 at 3:27 am

This cheatsheet is a lifesaver, you've done a great job! I've got one question: in my league, teams can trade draft dollars along with players. What ends up happening on draft day is that players end up starting at different budgets ($257, $263, etc). Is there any way to customize the team budget for each team? Thanks again for all the work you put in here!

• Patrick McGovern
    March 22, 2014 at 12:57 pm

really awesome stuff

• Jacob Perlini
    March 22, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Players added to new auction cheatsheets are ending up on bench when added to teams…anyway to fix???

• NoisyFlowers
    March 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm

It's working great now. Thanks for the fix!

• Unknown
    March 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Luke, I love what you do with these spreadsheets but I'm having trouble this go-around. When I open the file it says "Excel found unreadable content in …" When I tell it to repair/recover I get this as the problem, "Removed Part: /xl/comments1.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load error. Line 2, column 215."

The error log also mentions this, "

error008640_01.xml"

Is this just me having an issue as I don't see any other comments with problems resembling this. Thanks!

• Unknown
    March 22, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I also should mention this is immediately after downloading from your site and then results in compile errors anytime the spreadsheet is to be changed whether it is entering league settings or sorting columns, i.e.

• Von Hayes
    March 22, 2014 at 8:38 pm

minor note – Asdrubal Cabrera is listed as a 2B, rather than a SS

March 22, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Thanks. There seem to be a few weird position mixes that occured when I gave the ability to edit positions. You can click the position though and get a drop-down box to change the position manually.

March 22, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I'd try deleting that file and redownloading it. Something could have messed up with the download.

• Unknown
    March 22, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I was able to figure out the problem I was having previously (xml/compile issues). Apparently I was missing some service park library that had not been installed correctly in the past. Thanks for such an awesome resource!!

• mchokie
    March 23, 2014 at 3:24 am

any chance you can add a filter on player name in the draft central for auction? it would make finding players so much easier?

overall very nice though.

• Busted Flush
    March 24, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hey, great site, great work, thanks. I'm having trouble doing a 12 team H2H auction draft though. I can sort by ADP but not by auction values. Am I missing something obvious – thanks

March 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm

ADP? You must have downloaded the draft spreadsheet as opposed to the Roto Auction spreadsheet. Download that one and you should be set.

• K. C. Haugh
    March 24, 2014 at 4:08 pm

After the initial search, CTRL+F works for subsequent searches.

• Busted Flush
    March 25, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Right – but isn't that based on ROTO stats, not H2H points? I was hoping there was a way to do a points league auction draft cheatsheet. Is there no way to do it?

March 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Ooooh, a points league auction? To be honest, that's the first time I've heard of someone doing that. Huh. Yeah, I'm not even sure how I'd calculate auction values for that…

• Robert Fink
    March 28, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hi There,

Is there anyway to hide NL players from the positional rankings page, I set it up to hide them from the main page but they still show on the positional page..

Great Stuff!!!!

March 28, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Oh. Hmm… I didn't think of that when I added that positional rankings page in. I'll see what I can do but don't know if I'll dream up a fix in time for the weekend drafts!!

• Robert Fink
    March 28, 2014 at 5:55 pm

No problem, I don't think it's a biggie. Great design on the sheets, I was working on building a Access database of similar fashion when I came across yours. If you don't mind me asking how are you able to tap into ESPN rankings and such?

• Bill Logan
    March 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Hi, is there an available password if I want to "unprotect" which will allow me to change from read only?

• Roger
    March 31, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I used your spreadsheet for my draft on Saturday. Awesome. I'll be donating. One glitch I noticed, and it's not that big of a deal, is in the Live Standings tab. Two out of the ten ten teams don't show up in there. Those two teams happen to be the only two teams that, when input from the settings button when starting the spreadsheet, were in the second column of teams to input (if that makes sense). It isn't that important, but I was going to use that for fun to send to the league. Just trying to help perfect this and not trying to nitpick. Thanks again for your work on this.

• Roger
    March 31, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I forgot to mention that I was using the points league spreadsheet.

• AWhitney
    April 3, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I have no idea if I was able to update my spreadsheet. I clicked some buttons, saved some files and the sheet blinked a few times.