2015 Fantasy Baseball Draft Cheatsheets (Roto, Auction, Points) Update #1

The first version of my fantasy baseball cheatsheets were released a few weeks back and it’s time for an update, my friends. There has been more projections, ADP, auction and rankings data released and it needed to get added in for you to drool over. In addition, I was feeling ambitious and made a number of requested tweaks and changes to the sheets.

Before touching upon all of the updates, for those who are finding these cheatsheets for the first time, here is some background for you:

The cheatsheets are interactive spreadsheets that are can be tuned to your personal league settings and preferences. You will be able to use these sheets to see how valuable each player is specifically for your league. The spreadsheets also update throughout the draft so you can easily know when you need to adapt your draft strategy based on how a draft is going. For the data nerds, you get a ton of available projections and draft data right at your fingertips in one easy place.

As for the changes that I made in this latest version, a brief summary of the major changes:

• Added IF (Infield) as a new roster spot that you can choose. This roster spot is similar to CI and MI but covers 1B, 2B, 3B and SS.
  • Added a whole lot of new roto batting categories: Net SB, Singles, Combo (BB+SB-KO), Caught Stealing, Fielding Errors
  • Added a whole lot of new roto pitching categories: Earned Runs, Games Started, Complete Games, Shutouts
  • Added new stats for points league calculations: Fielding Errors and GIDP for hitters and Games Started for pitchers
  • Added my Special Blend projections as a selection projection
  • Opened the ability to do Combined projections and select how you’d like to weight each source
  • Added ZiPS and MORPS projections
  • Added new rankings sources (such as Rotographs and ESPN Points League rankings)
  • Added CBS and ESPN ADP data
  • Added ESPN auction data
  • Updated projections, ADP data, Auction Value data and Rankings that had updates available
  • And, there’s a whole lot of minor little tweaks and fixes that I made that aren’t major but had either been requested or were things I noticed

With that being said, it’s time to download your cheatsheets! There are three types of cheatsheets. For rotisserie league owners (whether it’s H2H or traditional), you can use the standard draft or the auction draft cheatsheet depending on your draft type. If you’re not in a roto league, there’s also a cheatsheet for point scoring leagues too.

2015 Roto Draft Cheatsheet
2015 Roto Auction Cheatsheet
2015 Points League Draft Cheatsheet

To better understand all of the features of these special little cheatsheets, skim through this post here that explains each area of the spreadsheets.

Please note that these sheets are designed for Microsoft Excel and utilize macros which will make them unable to be used on Mac versions of Excel (it sucks, I know).

Once downloading the sheets, you’ll be prompted with two messages to enable content and then you’ll be able to use them fully after that. Once again, if you are a bit confused upon opening the cheatsheets, refer to the how-to post here.

For this round of updates, I made a lot of changes that may not be evident and I did my own testing but there very well may be things you notice that aren’t acting as you’d expect. If that’s the case then drop me a line in the comments and I’ll get it fixed. Also, if you had used the previous version of the sheets and entered keepers or data in, feel free to click Save Settings there then come over to the new version and click Load Settings to bring in that old data.

Enjoy and happy fantasy baseball draft season!

You Might Also Like

• Brian Scully
    March 3, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Great work as always, Luke. One quick question – in the player profiles tab, is the row called "Custom Weight" the Special Blend or is it something else?

March 3, 2015 at 11:53 pm

I should probably just change that to the Special Blend. Those would be custom weighted projections (if you had changed any weights chosen) but it would make more sense to have the Special Blend in there.

• Mike
    March 4, 2015 at 11:22 am

Hey Luke,
    Thanks for your amazing work. I am not seeing special blend in the auction version only steamer Cairo etc.
    -Mike

• MP
    March 4, 2015 at 1:53 pm

1) Would there be any way to make the sheet pull in fresh projection data via web queries?

2) Could you add HR allowed for pitchers (in points leagues)?

Thanks.

• MP
    March 4, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Sorry to post again, but a couple more things:

1) When I import my points league settings, the sheet loads with every player grayed out on the Positional Worksheet page. On the Draft Central page, it lists "0" in col A for all players. (I loaded my pts. league settings from an earlier version of the sheet, and everything else looks fine).

2) I loaded the sheet with Special Blend projections, and it seems like the Custom Weight stats on the Player Profile page are a simple average of Cairo, Steamer, Fangraphs, ZiPS, for all stats for both pitchers and hitters. Is that intentional? Then on the Draft Central page, it shows different projected stats. E.g., Abreu is listed with 35 HR and 95 RBI on the former page, and 34/97 on the latter. Thanks again.

• aimrocky
    March 4, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I'm having the same importing issue as MP listed above.

• aimrocky
    March 4, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Also noticing on the points spreadsheet there are several notable players who's projections don't carryover to the cheat sheet, specifically pitchers. Examples are Mike Minor, Brandon McCarthy, Clay Buchholz, Jake Peavy, CJ Wuksib, Trevor Bauer, Pedro Alvarez, Yasmany Tomas & Mike Napoli

• Kevin
    March 5, 2015 at 4:59 am

With your latest point spreadsheet, I'm trying to import my own projections using your import projection spreadsheet. Hitters seem to load fine, and the pitcher stats do appear but the points are not calculated.

• Tim Goff
    March 5, 2015 at 5:26 am

Luke, can you please change James Shields so he isn't on KC anymore? I love the cheatsheet and am trying to run it for an AL-only league.

• 22ecf2f2-c352-11e4-89f8-df2943ec1896
    March 5, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Could you please add the ability to filter out for NL/AL Only leagues?

March 5, 2015 at 6:34 pm

It's there. On the second settings page, there's a button to set teams for your league type.

March 6, 2015 at 2:46 am

Is this when you're importing your own projections? Or is this with a certain projection set? When is this happening?

March 6, 2015 at 6:43 am

Are you talking about on the Player Profile page? I just put it back on there in a version I uploaded tonight. It should be selectable as a projection to use as your main source though, if that's what you're talking about.

March 6, 2015 at 6:43 am

I added in HR's Allowed to the Points League spreadsheet in an update I did tonight. Good idea.

March 6, 2015 at 6:44 am

Good catch about the import error. I fixed that tonight and uploaded a new version of the spreadsheet to resolve it.

In regards to the other issue, yeah, it was showing the Custom Weighted projections there (which you can customize in the Settings) but I'm guessing not many people use those so I changed it to the Special Blend instead in this latest version.

March 6, 2015 at 6:45 am

Good catch. I got this updated and loaded a new version tonight.

March 6, 2015 at 6:45 am

Got it! Loaded a new version tonight.

• Greg Baumler
    March 6, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Hey Luke the sort by position is not working after the update?

• aimrocky
    March 6, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Hi Luke, it's happening when using any projection. I tested it with Steamer and your special blend, and it's still happening.

• Kevin
    March 7, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Thanks for updating the spreadsheet to fix the imported points for pitchers. Have some beers on me.

• Saber
    March 8, 2015 at 4:40 am

Guessing I'm missing something, but when I do the 'sort by' and select a projected base stat (e.g., HRs, SBs) the sort function doesn't seem to work properly and returns a group of players that have non of the category I sorted on. However, the sort by function seems to work fine for other categories (WERTH, ADP, etc.). Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

• JDub
    March 8, 2015 at 7:18 am

This is fantastic, thank you for your efforts!
    How hard would it be to add double plays? My league tracks double plays both for hitters and pitchers.

• Rene
    March 8, 2015 at 4:13 pm

The points league draft sheet is giving me an error: The VBA macros in this workbook are corrupted and have been deleted. I can't change any settings.

March 8, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Good catch. I just uploaded a version that got that fixed.

March 8, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Thanks man! Appreciate it.

March 8, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Got it fixed. Thanks!

March 8, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Hmm. Like fielding double plays or how many times a hitter hit into double plays? I'd have to see if I can find a projection system that projects those stats.

March 8, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Hmm. I'd try downloading a new copy. Something may have went wrong when you were downloading or something. Weird.

• Rene
    March 8, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I'm still seeing that VBA macro error when I download a new one and even when I try the roto draft sheet too. I'm using Excel 2007. Could that be the problem?

March 8, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Hmm… Maybe. I don't have a copy of 2007 to test it on to see if that's the issue but I wouldn't be too surprised if that's part of it. I'll see what I can find out and let you know.

• Rene
    March 8, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Yup it's an Excel 2007 issue. Installed 2010 and it's working like a champ. Looks amazing, can't wait to play around with this. Thanks for all your hard work!

• Matt McPherson
    March 9, 2015 at 3:24 am

Awesome Job! I was hoping to get the fantasy point projections on the positional sheet like it is on the draft central sheet.

• Chauncey St. John
    March 9, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I am also continuing to experience this problem. When I download the points spreadsheet and make no modifications to the default scoring/settings, there are 360 players without any projected data (but only 48 of which would normally be drafted). Some may be based on lack of history (Kris Bryant, Yasmany Tomas) or return from injury (Matt Harvey), but still many more than I would expect (Pedro Alvarez, Jake Peavy).

March 9, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Got it fixed and a new version uploaded (would say version 1.2.2 on the credits page). Thanks.

• Chauncey St. John
    March 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Thank you! Unfortunately, I'm still facing issue. The Points spreadsheet version is showing as 1.21. For reference sake, are there any players in the top 300 you wouldn't expect to have projection data?

March 9, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Um… Hm. Maybe try refreshing before you download? I just downloaded to double-check and it downloaded the right version (1.22) for me. That would have it resolved. Depending on what projection source you are using, you might see certain players not projected. Steamer or CAIRO or ZiPS would probably have the most people projected of all of the systems in the options.

• Chauncey St. John
    March 9, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Excellent, thank you! Clearing my browser data and reopening did the trick. There are still a handful of missing projections, but down to 11 out of the top 300 (sticking to ZiPS or Steamer). I'll assume that to be based on the available projections rather than anything with the spreadsheet (although some are odd…Noah Syndergaard? Pedro Alvarez? Mike Napoli?). Any idea why those guys might be missing? And as a general rule of thumb, does your Special Blend omit any players not evaluated by all the sources you take into account?

• William
    March 9, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Thanks for the amazing work on the Cheatsheet Luke! I wonder if it would be possible to add a Utility and/or Infield Utility position? My league doesn't use a DH spot and I've noticed the cheatsheet moves some players to a bench spot affecting the live scoring.

• MP
    March 10, 2015 at 6:11 am

Could you add the ability to double-sort on the Draft Central page, so that one could sort by position and then by pts.?

Could you add PA and IP to the Draft Central page?

On the same page, could you add Points Above Replacement, where "Replacement" is roughly the talent expected to available on the waiver wire per league params?

On the Position Worksheet page, could it be made sortable by StDev as option (in addition to the default sort of ADP)?

Lots of requests. Feel free to consider/ignore as you wish. Thanks.

• Anthony Theoharis
    March 10, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Password?

March 10, 2015 at 7:10 pm

What are you trying to do that requires unlocking? Everything you should need to do should be available. Anything that is locked up is done so because of the ramifications it might have to all of the formulas within the spreadsheet if that data gets changed.

March 10, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I should change the wording aof it but the DH spot is the same as the utility spot. It means that any hitter could fill that spot. I also added an IF spot in the most recent update.

March 10, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I'll see what I can do.

• Anthony Theoharis
    March 10, 2015 at 8:20 pm

what if i want to change the team names?

March 10, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Go to Settings then click the button on the second page that says Set Your League Team Names. It's on the same screen that you choose positions and stuff.

• MP
    March 11, 2015 at 3:58 am

It seems like DHs (Cruz and VMart) should have non-blank "Std Devs Above Avg." Say, in a 12- team league with 2 Utility spots, you could make the DH positional average the average of the top 24 hitters?

• JDub
    March 11, 2015 at 4:01 am

Is there any way to account for multiple position eligibility?
    (Thanks again for your efforts).

• Andrew Hafemann
    March 11, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Is there any reason the auction sheet shouldn't work with excel 2007? I'm having issues with it being able to run macros. Anyone else or is it just my settings?

• Andrew Hafemann
    March 11, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Fixed the macro thing, that was just me being dumb. I am still getting an error though but I'm not sure if it's impacting anything. Excel makes a repair and this is the description:

Removed Part: /x/comments1.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load Error. Line 2, column 200.

Maybe I'm the only one with this issue but thought I would pass it along. Again, the sheet seems to work normally after Excel makes this repair. At least to the naked eye.

• Andrew Hafemann
    March 11, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I spoke too soon. Search tab returns "Compile error in hidden module: Module2" when clicking it. And when trying to proceed to step 2 of settings I get "Compile error in hidden module: LeagueSet". I have office 2007. Hoping these are errors people have seen before. Thanks!!!

• Mike Brueck
    March 12, 2015 at 1:16 am

Would everything work using Google Spreadsheets?

• MP
    March 12, 2015 at 7:12 am

Can you please add Games Played as a category for pitchers in the points league spreadsheet? Thanks!

• Andrew Hafemann
    March 12, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Can't get the file to open in Google Spreadsheets. No worries though, just download a free 30-day trial of Office 2013. Solved the issue for this year.

• Mike Brueck
    March 12, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Good call on the Office trial, unfortunately I'll be using a Chromebook for my draft. I was able to get the file imported into google spreadsheets fine, everything works except I can't edit teams and the dropboxes won't load any team name (even the generic 'Team A'). I also tried Microsoft's free excel online app, but none of the hidden sheets will load in for some reason, so I can't edit any of the scoring or team names to be specific for my league.

• MP
    March 15, 2015 at 8:37 am

Any chance you can put a version number in the file names, so users know whether they have the latest update or not?

• BLK
    March 24, 2015 at 2:53 am

In either NL or AL only leagues, the Positional Worksheet tab displays players from the non-eligible league. And those players cannot be manually deleted because the sheet is locked. Any chance you can fix this before next week?

• Michael Wire
    August 31, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Great job with that worksheet! It is really useful. As I started I was searching for something like that for a long time now but with no luck. If I use those and the strategies from here I would make a lot of wins this season. Thanks for sharing.